Updated: Jul 12
Written by Dr. Sean C. Inselberg, DAc, MSc, CNS
on June 4th 2022
Are you feeling tired?.....frustrated? Losing interest in things....don't have as much drive as you would like to?
You came to the right place because today, I will help you turn that frown upside down and get you moving and feeling spectacular! We have all been there, the feeling of being overworked, crawling towards another cup of coffee, or indulging in sugary treats to try and get some pep in our step.
These things may work in the short run, but your health will suffer, and eventually, you will crash. Caffeine and sugar will bring you up and take you down. They can be considered "anti-nutrients," and they are hard on your body, immune system, and nervous system and depletes vital minerals from the body (1)
Today I will share with you four tips that will help you feel better naturally without the side effects of caffeine and sugar.
Tip #1 - Drink Water that is alive
Most water is polluted with harmful chemicals, microbial containments, drugs, and radiological substances (2) Drinking mineral water or adding concentrated mineral drops can give your water and your body's cells some spark.
Mineral water contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonate, iron, and zinc (3).
These minerals can help improve energy and muscle weakness and contribute to better moods. One of my favorite brands of mineral water is Mountain Valley spring water. I also use concentrated mineral drops available at the Nutritional Wellness center. to increase the health benefits of any water that I drink. The goal of daily water intake should be to consume half your body weight in ounces per day to stay well hydrated.
Tip #2 - Use Adaptogenic Herbs
Adaptogens are herbs like ginseng, licorice root, Schisandra, Astragalus, and Ashwagandha and have been shown to lower stress and increase energy levels in clinical trials (5). These herbs can be pushed individually or purchased in a blended formula.
I like to use a company called Mediherb as they grow all of their herbs on and ensure quality and potency. I especially like two of their products, adrenal tonic, and Nevaton Forte. I have to say that taking these adaptogens daily keeps my energy up and my stress down.
Tip #3 - Practice Qi gong
Qigong is about activating internal energy or "Qi" by using breathing exercises, meditation, stretching, and physical movements to bring about a heightened state of awareness, increased energy, and a role in healing the body (6).
There are many styles to choose from with Qi gong but I like to recommend this youtube video. if you are a beginner. I do this often for energy, clarity of mind, and overall wellbeing. To create a real shift in your life practice regularly to receive benefits from this magnificent practice.
Tip #4 - Take a Walk in Nature
Taking a walk is one of the best things you can do, especially if you are sitting in front of a computer all day or just not moving enough. Walking is more effective in boosting energy than a cup of coffee (7).
Try and walk for 25 minutes to an hour. When you are walking, look around at your environment, and do your best to be present and notice your surroundings. This will help calm your mind and increase the therapeutic effects of walking. Try not to dwell or think about present time problems; relax, explore and enjoy the fresh air.
Try some or all of these tips and enjoy a life filled with more energy, less stress, and better moods!
Until next time.....Take care of yourself and stay well!
· Chertoff, J. (2018, November 8). 10 benefits of walking. Healthline. Retrieved June 2, 2022, from https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-walking#:~:text=Going%20for%20a%20walk%20when,that%20help%20elevate%20energy%20levels.
· Environmental Protection Agency. (2022). Types of Drinking Water Contaminants. EPA. Retrieved June 4, 2022, from https://www.epa.gov/ccl/types-drinking-water-contaminants#:~:text=These%20contaminants%20may%20be%20naturally,contaminants%20are%20organisms%20in%20water.
· Leech, J. (2020, June 30). 7 reasons why you should drink more water. Healthline. Retrieved June 4, 2022, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-water
· Marengo, K. (2019). Is mineral water more healthful? benefits and side effects. Medical News Today. Retrieved June 4, 2022, from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324910#magnesium
· Petroski, W., & Minich, D. M. (2020, September 24). Is there such a thing as "anti-nutrients"? A narrative review of perceived problematic plant compounds. Nutrients. Retrieved June 4, 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7600777/
· Randolph, D., & O'Connor, P. (2017). Stair walking is more energizing than low dose caffeine in sleep deprived young women. Physiology & behavior. Retrieved June 4, 2022, from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28302573/
Sun, G.-C. (2008, October). Qigong: Bio-energy medicine. Journal of alternative and complementary medicine (New York, N.Y.). Retrieved June 4, 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2653415/#:~:text=Qigong%20consists%20primarily%20of%20internal,from%20the%20other%20abovementioned%20modalities.